?

Sunday, October 12, 2008

First Entry(Flowers For Algernon)

Charlie Gordon is a "retarded" adult of 32 years of age. His IQ is only 68, but he has a lot of motivation to learn something new and become smart. He wanted to become smart and have a normal life, have fun with friends, and talk about politics and religion with other people. When he learned that he could become smart, he decides to take a risk and go under surgery to raise his IQ. Through his "progress reports" which are really, more like a journal entry of his shows his improvement in thinking, writing, reading, etc.

It's really amazing that although Charlie is a fictional character, he has such strong motivations. His strong willed personality made me reflect on my own lifestlye. Charlie has almost nothing. He didn't have a loving family, he was made fun of(he never realized it though), and he was always criticized for being retarded. Yet, he never lost that will to learn. Although I have better conditions, such as normal brain, loving family and friends, etc. I think I lack motivation in my life sometimes. Through a fictional character like Charlie, I realize that I should be happy and content with what I have(I tend to forget about it, and take things for granted sometimes), and try hard in whatever I do. I realize that I should have a stronger will or passion, and strive for the best, just like this character does, because I know that if a person with an IQ of 68 can do it, I know that I can.

0 comments: