?

Friday, March 21, 2008

Climax

What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?

I think the climax of the novel is when Simon encounters the Lord of the Flies in the forest and realize the beast is actually the evil mindedness of each and every boy on the island. When Simon is enlightened with that discovery, he tries to tell that to the other boys, but they mistake him for a beast and kills him.

I think that was the turning point of the novel, because that was the definite fall of civilization in the island. After Simon's killing, Jack's tribe became more violent and cruel, and kills off Piggy, and even tries to kill Ralph too. All their moral goodness they had before had totally disappeared when the boys killed Simon. People like Ralph and Piggy realized their mistakes and tried not to give in to savage instincts again, but the rest of the boys didn't care whether they were being savage or not.

The climax, and the whole novel in general, made me feel so frustrated! To be honest, Jack was getting on my last nerves. I mean, he went to a school, he was educated, why was he so cruel and violent from the beginning of the novel? I suppose the author was trying to show how civilization can fall so easily, but I wished it wasn't so, because I had a hard time controlling my thoughts about the events. The instant Jack showed up in the story, I knew he was going to have major conflicts with Ralph in leading the group of boys, because unlike Ralph, Jack threw around a knife to get everybody quiet, and he became so angry and resentful when Ralph was voted the chief instead of him. Golding did a very good job in portraying Jack as ambitious and violent from the beginning of the novel. I wish that Jack wasn't like that in the novel, because it made me realize that all human beings can be just like him. It was sad when I realized that truth. Because, think about it. We all try to pretend that we're always good, but we all use violence some time to get our own ways.

0 comments: