?

Monday, March 3, 2008

What is the mood of this novel? Do you find this novel saddens you in any way? Why?

The mood of this novel is very depressing to me. If I suddenly for some reason fell into the world of 1984 right now, I'd probably just commit suicide or something. Because with my 21st century mind, I'm most likely to get caught and tortured until I become brainwashed by the inner party members anyway.
The reason why the novel was so depressing was because of the setting the main character is living in. Winston Smith is a member of the outer party(middle-class of the society: Not the controlling group), and yet, in the beginning of the novel, the settings described is very dark, gloomy, and grayish. Winston Smith lives in poverty. Nothing vibrant or vivid can be seen much. Also, Smith describes that there are posters everywhere saying, "Big Brother is watching you," and it is right that he has a telescreen, his every move being constantly watched by the inner party members(top-class of the society).

I loathe even the idea of being watched constantly, and being heard constantly by other people. It saddened me because Winston, he knew that before the revolution happened, people had freedom of speech, and there was love, kindness, and passion between people. Because he missed those things, he had lead such a hard life trying to hide all those emotions all these times until he finally gets caught by the hands of the thoughtpolice. It would be a different story if I was born into that kind of society, but Winston was born before things were done violently and cruelly. I could feel Winston Smith's frustration and anxiety in me, and as I was reading the whole book, I kept thinking 'How can he bear to live in that kind of society even for a day?' That world was like living hell to me.

0 comments: